15 January 2018

Door epoxy voids

I feel like I was pretty careful (really careful) during my door skin bonding sessions. As careful as you can be, there are still some spots that are pretty hard to get a clamp on. And while I was so focused on the door perimeter, I did have a couple of voids in both the perimeter as well as the lock mechanism area. 

This was nothing that a little flox, epoxy, and some syringes from mcmaster could not fix. If I were to do the doors again I would be careful about the following things:

1) While this is in the instructions. Be extra careful that the cabin top flange is has the required 1/4 clearance from the door. I did end up with a small spot on the top side of the passenger door that I missed noticing that the door was resting on the cabin top flange. Not a big deal, but I think it did pull my door out of alignment a bit.

2) I left a fair amount of material outside of the scribe line around the perimeter of the door. In retro-spec I would have cut this back to the smaller distance so that I could see a little more of what was going.

3) Some of these things would be hard to clamp up, but areas like the door lock area could use some extra attention.

4) There is no need to over epoxy the parabeam. The result of this is a bit of a mess in a hard to clean up area that really needs to be cleaned up in order to not interfere with the door latching rods.


No comments: