01 March 2020

Spark Plug Cables

Something I have been pretty picky about is the routing/mounting of the ignition system. This process started a probably a year ago at this point but started finally coming together in December when I was finally able to securely fasten the coil packs in a position that was both secure and cleared the cowl. 

I have seen a lot of planes (or at least photos of planes) with people bundling the plug wires on their electronic ignitions. While I am not sure how important it still is in modern plug wires to separate cables by at least 1/4" I made the decision early on that I wanted to isolate individual plug wires. 


 






















I did end up ordering a lot of spare hardware from Summit and Amazon that I ended up not using as I was trying different wire layouts. As a base, FlyEFII sends 2x Taylor 8mm Spiro-Pro cable kits along with their System 32. I stuck with those cables as they seemed to be pretty nice quality. I swapped out the coil pack ends from that kit with Taylor Cable 46051 90 degree low profile HEI boots. I ended up doing that for two reasons. First, FlyEFII sends enough hardware to do the 12 plug cables. I always like to have extras prior to starting so I was going to be ordering another set of plug boots anyways. Secondly, I centered the coil pack bracket on the engine mount cross bar. In doing this, the coil packs are a bit close to the baffle. While the standard locking boots still fit in this space, the low profiles make it just a little bit nicer to service the forward facing boots.

In order to secure the cables I used 2 packs of 42700 as well as 2 packs of 42502 cable separators. The 42502 have standoffs included with them.

  

No comments: