05 January 2020

Stick control wiring

With both the left and right panel switches and breakers in, I was finally able to cut down the control sticks, install the stick grips, and start wiring the controls. I previously drilled the control sticks at the hand end so I could wire the controls internal to the stick tubes, but now that things are a little further together, I think that is a bad idea. The problem is not the end near the stick it is the pivot under the seat. The WD-1011 bracket under the seat has a 90 degree enclosed angle in it. I may re-think this later, but in order to get the wire to exit the control stick I would have to put a hole somehwere in the WD-1011 stick base. I remember thinking that I would pull the wire through the bottom of that control base, but now that I have the F-1064 push rods in place with the F-1065 that would be the wire bundle in interference with the physical controls of the plane. That I am not comfortable with.





I am going to keep the wiring on the outside of the control stick. I am using a connector that still fits through the control stick (at least the straight part of it) so if I ever needed to service my control wires it wouldn't be much of a problem. I chose some 7 pin circular connectors from Amphenol (APC1629-ND). The really great thing about these connectors is that they use same High Density pins and sockets that the DB connectors use for most of the other avionics.



The 7 control stick wires fit nicely into the connector, and the connector is actually small enough to fit through the control stick in case you choose to pop a hole in the control stick and route the wire inside of the stick.



The wiring pattern for the control sticks are as follows:
PinStick Wire ColorSwitchAirplane Wire
ABlueTrim (Up)Red (VPX Trim Up)
BBrownButton (Black)Not used
CYellowTrim (Right)Black (VPX Trim Right)
DPurpleTrim (Left)White Black (VPX Trim Left)
ERedButton (Red)White Black (CWS/Autopilot Disconnect)
FWhiteButton (PTT)White Yellow (Pilot) White Brown (Co-Pilot)
GGreenTrim (Down)White Red (VPX Trim Down)
HBlackGround (common)Black (GND_ControlStick)


No comments: